Sunday, June 21, 2015

Eggs

The neighbor kids love to come collect eggs.

There are a few kids that I trust to collect eggs when I'm not home, the rest need to ask each time they go into the barn yard.

One day I came home from the grocery store and this is what I found.


People wonder about us. They wonder why we would let neighborhood kids play on the play yard. They wonder why we would let them visit the animals on the farm. They wonder why I would let them play with the toys in the basement on hot afternoons.

It's because I don't want to be the grouchy lady on the street that chases kids away.

As much as possible, I want to live like people lived 50 years ago. The neighborhood kids could play in almost any yard, and in any house, because the people that lived on the street were safe. They loved the kids who lived there, and they wanted them to all have someplace safe to play.

I know we live in a world that isn't safe, that parents are scared that their kids are going to end up where there are evil adults.

I want my neighborhood kids to be safe, and to feel safe in their neighborhood.

They are welcome here, to play, to have a snack, to tell me about their day, to visit the animals, and to collect the eggs.

No comments: