Thursday, May 7, 2015

Photos from the Farm #31

Welcome back!

How was your week? I hope you learned new things, and that you did your best.

Here's Harry taking a break on Annie's back.
Baby goats love to climb on everyone and everything!


Do you remember our old cat, Cookie?
She is about 17 years old and she still catches mice!
We don't usually have mice in the house,
but once in a while in the spring or fall one will get in.
Thank you, Cookie!

*     *     *     *     *     *     *
Do you remember what our yard looked like last week? 

This is what it looks like this week.

All the purple flowers are gone.

More of the red flowers have started blooming.

There are some red flowers called Poppies starting to bloom in this flower bed.
I trimmed all the flowers off the rhubarb, but I haven't had a chance to bottle any yet.
Hopefully I will have time this week.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *

I have a very good friend who has pigs. We still don't have pigs. Pigs aren't allowed in Highland.

My friend thinks it's great that you are learning so much about the farm so she sent me some videos of her piglet.




This piglet was injured by her brothers and sisters. That happens with piglets. They aren't very careful and sometimes they pile on top of each other. The piglet at the bottom often gets hurt. 

My friend decided to put her in a pen all by herself and hope she could learn to eat solid food quickly. She was still drinking her mom's milk. 

She did! Now she is healing quickly and is the same size as her brothers and sisters. Sometimes we can't save an injured animal on the farm. No matter what we do, sometimes they die. We are always excited when a sick or injured animals gets better.

*     *     *     *     *     *    *


I thought you might like to see one of my friend's goats. This is Widget. She is good at adopting other animals. This year she has adopted a calf. My friend bought a calf, and Widget is feeding it!

*     *     *     *     *     *    *



Bryon saw the chickens taking a bath in the garden last Saturday! I ran out with my camera and was able to take some videos for you.



You can see how this chicken shakes off all the dust! Wow! They really get the dirt and dust in their feathers. The bugs shake out with the dust and the dirt and the chickens are much happier!

I think I would be happy to get rid of bugs crawling around and trying to live in my feathers, too!

*     *     *     *     *     *    *
Last Saturday there was a balloon that flew over our house.
Bryon got a photo of it!
It landed in a field nearby.
It's fun when the balloons fly so close to our house!

That's all for today.
I hope you have a great week! 



No comments: