Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Kitchen Progress

We are still puttering along on the kitchen remodel. Hubby got the floor done and then surprised me by taking me shopping for new appliances. We weren't planning on new appliances, the older ones were working (for the most part).

************************************************************************
I finally got the kitchen chairs repainted. Son1 installed them. I think it took about 2 hours to get them back on! We had to put a spacer between the chairs and the stand because the counter is about 2" taller than it was before.
 ************************************************************************
Here's the new fridge! The 17 year-old Whirlpool never died, although we wished it would because all the plastic supports on the inside of the fridge kept breaking. Yes.... we used duct tape to hold some of it together. But it kept the food at the right temperature, which is the most important job of a fridge. I'm planning on painting the bright white grill at the bottom of the cabinet. I'll probably paint it black, or one of the Rust Oleum metallic colors.
************************************************************************
We won't be replacing the dishwasher, it works just fine! It's nice to have the floor all done. I didn't expect that until sometime in August when it is too hot to work outside. You can see that we still have some work to do on the ceiling as well as get new overhead lights. We also have wires hanging below the cabinets that will eventually have under cabinet lights.
 ************************************************************************
The new microwave is in. It's a little higher than the old one which is great when I work on the stove with big pots. I used to have to pull the stove away from the wall to can or make cheese. The new stove is stored in the shed because we don't have the gas line hooked up yet. Once the gas line is in, I'll have a gas stove!!
************************************************************************
This is my favorite spot in the kitchen, the little table with the lamp on it. We still need to repaint the kitchen (and the rest of the house!) and get our message center more useable. Right now it's just a white board and clipboard pinned to the wall. I don't have big plans for the message center, just something that looks more 'on purpose' rather than stuff stuck to the wall.
************************************************************************
All in all, its great to have the kitchen this far along. It's nice to have counters and a sink! And it's great to be able to prepare food in a nice kitchen, even though it's not quite all done yet.

I've also been refinishing some furniture for Prion's room and Blondie's house. Nothing spectacular, but it's kept me busy. I LOVE spray paint! Especially the new Rust Oleum Painter's Touch! It's so much easier than a paint can and a brush and the finish is so much more durable. It was worth the extra money since I don't want to be doing this again anytime soon!

No comments: