Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Clipping Chicken Wings

Our Good Friend and his wife (also a great friend) have chickens. They don't have a very big yard, but they have very patient neighbors. The chickens fly over the fence no matter what Our Good Friend and his wife try!

They've even covered the top of their chicken pen with bird netting. That worked for a while, but with the wind in our area, it didn't last.

Last week I went over to trim their chicken's wings. She was a little afraid of hurting her chickens, so I was happy to help.

I didn't get any photos (Spring Break was a difficult week), but I found a great photo tutorial on Frugal Living Freedom.

When I was done clipping wings the chickens had a hard time just getting back into their coop.

That's a good thing.

They won't be hopping the fence anytime soon..... I hope!

2 comments:

Tonia said...

I have clipped wings and still have some that get out Over the top!! They are going to a friends house that doesnt have a garden...

TJ said...

I have had them fly with clipped wings, too. Especially White Leghorns, those chickens are hyper-active and no one can keep them down! These chickens are now laying on the floor of the coop (which is kinda sad) because they can't even fly up 2 feet off the ground.

It does keep them in the yard, though, which is much safer in their sub-division as well as very neighborly of them to keep their animals in their yard :)