Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Daughter's Idea

I use green onions pretty often when I'm cooking. So does my daughter.

She was watching some cooking show on TV (I don't watch TV much, so I can't tell you which show) and they said to save a few bulbs from the green onions and put them  in water. The green part will continue to grow. If you need some green onions but don't have time to go to the store, you have some ready to go! Of course that means you can only use the green part, not the white bulb at the bottom. But it is nice to have a renewable source of fresh green onions sitting on my kitchen counter.

I looked around for a tall, thin vase that I could use so that the stems would be supported. The stems flopped over when I put the onions in a mason jar.


"Form follows function." That was drilled into my head while I was taking pottery classes. I found this square vase that is wider at the top than the bottom, looks nice, and is tall enough to support the stems. And it looks pretty in my kitchen, which is always a nice bonus.

I think I'm going to look around for a nice pot. I wonder if they would grow better if I replanted them instead of just watering them.

I also wonder if I put a little miracle grow into the water if that will make them grow faster or if it will encourage more stems to grow from the bulbs.

More kitchen experiments to try! Just not with milk and cheese this time.

1 comment:

Tonia said...

Interesting!! I will have to try that!