Monday, October 4, 2010

Pocket Tissue Cover

I have a few friends who have had loved ones pass away the last few weeks. I found an idea to make a cover for the pocket tissues, of course I had to change the idea and make it my own.

You need a few scraps of fabric and about 20 minutes or less to sew one up.

Link to the Scribd PDF file: Pocket Tissue Holder

Here are the instructions:

Cut lining fabric 6 1/2” x 8”
Cut outside fabric 6 1/2” x 6”

Match 6 1/2” edges of lining and sew with a 1/4” seam.

Turn right side out and press the seam towards the lining fabric.

Fold so that the lining is on the inside and the main fabric is on the outside. 
Tape close to the edges.

Fold so that the lining is on the inside and the main fabric is on the outside. 
Tape close to the edges.

Tuck the back in just a little so that it is easier to zig-zag stitch about 1/2” from the edge towards the center. 
The tape holds the pieces together. Remove tape after sewing the zig zag stitch.
You may skip this step and the taping. I like the idea of the slit being reinforced.

Turn inside out and sew a 1/4” seam along each raw edge.

Trim corners so the corners will lay flat when you turn it right side out.

Turn right side out. 
Push corners out so they are square.
Press and steam lightly.

Slip the tissues into the pocket.
I take the plastic package off the tissues, but that isn"t necessary. You can slip a new package inside instead.

4 comments:

Marie said...

What a great idea! With the huge number of choices in fabrics now days, you could get fabric that reflects the person. Great idea!

TJ said...

A woman in our church makes beautiful hand-crafted cards. She and I are getting together so that we can have cards and matching tissue covers.

Another woman collects donations from church members to give a gift to people who loose loved ones, the card and tissue cover will be given along with the gift as a more personalized way to say, "I'm so sorry for your loss."

I think these would make great little gifts for children to make and give away to Grandmas, Aunts, and teachers for Christmas, too!

Farmer's City Wife said...

This is absolutely amazing -- and so much cuter than the crinkly plastic! I haven't used a sewing machine since high school but I've wanted to get back into it and this looks like it could actually be doable. Thank you for your clear instructions; if I do attempt it I'll report back :).

TJ said...

Yes! Please let me know how it goes! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If I can make the directions any more clear, I will!