Thursday, September 9, 2010

Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them

I was searching for how to make a homemade curd cutter when I'm making cheese. It would be really nice to have my curds a little more uniform. Since I'm a cheapskate--I thought maybe there might be someone out in wwwLand that has done it before and could give me some tips.

I ran across a few people that had made some, but I don't have the skill to do it. Not even close!

But I did find a really neat book that was published in 1909 called Handy Farm Devices and How To Make Them by Rolfe Cobleigh. There are some really interesting things in that book! The link is to the book online and takes you right to the Table of Contents.

Here is the Table of Contents, just to whet your appetite!
1. Workshop and Tools
2. The Steel Square
3. In and Around the House
4. In and Around the House (part II)
5. Poultry and Bees
6 Garden and Orchard
7. Field and Wood
8. Gates and Doors
9. When We Build
9. When We Build (part II)
10. Worth Knowing
10. Worth Knowing (part II)

If you want to download the book as a PDF, you can find it here at Internet Archives.

The first link takes you to a website called, Journey To Forever. But the best part of their site (for me) is the page called, Small Farms Library.

Books found on that page include:
Common Sense Composting by the Quick Return Method
The Saccharine Disease: Conditions caused by the Taking of Refined Carbohydrates....
Weeds: Guardians of the Soil
Principles of Soil Microbiology
Soil Management
My Grandfather's Earthworm Farm
Tree Crops: A Permanent Agriculture
Methane Digesters for Fuel Gas and Fertilizer, With Complete Instructions for Two Working Models

That's just a short list of the titles there....all readable online! And some of the ones I looked at can also be downloaded and printed from Internet Archives!

How great is that!!

More information on farming the way your Great-grandparents did! (Mine didn't--they were bankers!)

2 comments:

Linda Foley said...

Thanks for the link!!! I had thought about buying the book, but I am pleased to know I can read it without buying it.

TJ said...

I *love* Internet Archives! They've got a great collection of books that are beyond copyright. Lately I've been looking at some really old cookbooks, too.

I might print out the Handy Farm Devices and spiral bind it so I can browse through it a little easier.